Monday, February 4, 2013

Am I loosing my patience?

As I progress in my hobby I've been noticing a trend. I'm not sure weather to be disturbed by it or just view it as the next chapter in my model building career. Years ago I could tackle a long complicated project such as my R.M.S. Titanic wreck which took two years and is about 80% scratch built or my 1972 Corvette LT-1 that has full engine plumbing among other details down to a set of keys in the ignition without an issue. As time has gone by I find myself leaning more toward simplicity. Figures, painted skill one snap kits, simple 1/72 aircraft and the like. The issue seems to be that recently as I work on longer projects that have part counts in the many hundreds, I find myself getting burned out very quickly. Add unforeseen issues such as spilling glue on an assembly, fit issues, lots of seam filling (my most hated part of building a kit), or a paint mistake and matters get compounded. My current project is Academy's M1A1 Abrams which has just reached the stage where the hull is complete and assembly on the turret has started. For the past week I've been in the garage about two hours a day and finding that I've gotten little if anything (in my mind) done, for example last nights progress only completed the headlight assembly, a mere six pieces yet it seemed like an eternity to get through. Folks would say "well if it feels like a job, take a break" but the thing is I just took one. When I moved I was away from building for over a month, reading magazines and other blogs ravenous to get back to building, yet now that I'm back I can't get motivated to do anything. It could be residual exhaustion from moving, or maybe I just have a complete and total lack of patience. Maybe I should build slow and just not care. Maybe slow progress is better than no progress. Maybe I shouldn't worry about trying to get a new progress post up ASAP. Maybe I should just sit back and let the project take me at it's pace instead of trying to force the issue. It could be that that's been the problem all along...

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your last few statements. Don't force it. I notice that always ruins my motivation when I set some perceived deadline. Having my own blog makes it worse at times as I strive to release new posts on a consistent basis. But I've taken enough breaks from the hobby lately to realize that some model time is better than no model time and some accomplishment is better than zero. Slow and steady wins the race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And sometimes tandeming projects works too, such as while you have a big project underway like Academy's Tiger I with full interior have something small and simple near by to chill out with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find the pressures of life have changed our priorities a little. Like you years ago i had plenty of time, slept when i needed and worked on models from when i got home till i went to bed.
    I also find we feel we have to please others with our work, i am trying to make sure i build for me and hope others like, if they don't then oh well.
    I like your work Michael, keep it up.
    Cheers,
    Shayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shayne. I suppose my problem as of late really isn't trying to please others so much as my own impatience. I tend to want things done right now and these large projects just haven't been moving at my pace if that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete