Thursday, January 20, 2011

T-34/85 (January 1944)



About The Build

Manufacturer:
Tamiya

Scale: 1/35

Subject: T-34/85 Soviet Medium Tank

Kit Number: 89569

Date Built: August 2012

Modifications:
  • Styrene rod grab handles
  • Mesh material to replace engine deck vent
  • Hex rod bolts added
This was my first experience with Soviet WWII armor. I always liked the idea of doing a winter whitewash and the T34 is one of the best platforms for it. Despite the concessions made for motorization (this kit was initially released as a toy in 1985) it looks very nice when completed and with the addition of some aftermarket photo etch and some elbow grease could make a highly detailed show piece. Weathered tanks like this can be a fun challenge, however I found with this kit that I much prefer a cleaner style of build, more of a museum of various armor types versus 100% accuracy. My only issue with the finished product is through my own stupidity I managed to break off the front machine gun and drop it down the sink while washing it in preparation for the whitewash. Hopefully I can find an old glue bomb to scuttle out at a show one day, I can use the gun then turn the rest in to a diorama of a knocked out T-34 perhaps.

Buildup



Click thumbnails to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment