Thursday, January 20, 2011

Fokker Dr. I




About The Build

Manufacturer:
Revell of Germany

Scale: 1/72

Subject: Fokker Dr. I

Kit Number: 85-4116

Date Built: July 2012

Modifications:
  • N/A
Revell of Germany's Fokker Dr. I is a tiny model measuring in with a 2" long fuselage and 3" wing span. I had had this kit sitting around for several years finally deciding to build it as part of the Finescale.com "The Great War" group build. Rather than do the standard Red Barron scheme, I settled on a generic flat black plane from Jastas 11. The kit went together fairly quickly with only three days put in to assembly, however there were some areas I was disappointed with. Some weight bearing assemblies have small attachment points which are hard to align and prone to breakage primarily the landing gear. After the airframe was assembled, I sprayed it with Tamiya TS-6 flat black, then to simulate the brushed finish commonly seen on Dr.I's I mixed a black/gray color close to a dark gunship gray. Using a damp brush, wetter than a full dry brush, but not as damp as a full brush lightly brushed streaks across the frame and wings. The propeller was brushed with an acrylic base and given the wood grain effect with burnt umber artists oils.

Finished Build

click thumbnails to enlarge

No comments:

Post a Comment