Saturday, August 24, 2013

Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant


About The Build

Manufacturer:
Verlinden Productions

Scale: 1/5

Subject: Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant

Kit Number: 2032

Date Built: August 2013

Modifications:
  • N/A
About The Build

I built Verlinden's Lt. General Ulysses S. Grant as a companion to my earlier Gen. Robert E. Lee.The entire experience was fairly straightforward as far as large scale resin busts are concerned, with the majority of assembly time being spent on paint work and detailing. Though the uniform appears black, it is actually a very dark blue, Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue to be exact which, according to my research, is actually a close match to the blue shoe polish used to dye Union Army officer uniforms. As with my other large scale figures, I blended the basic skin tones in oils, then used pastels for the shading and highlights, which I find a far easier process than blending them with oils. After a coat of Mr. Topcote clear flat, the buttons and other details were picked out in various shades of Testors metallic enamels, then the pedestal was painted according to this tutorial on replicating wood grain effects with oils. For being my second bust, I'd rate the effort as "good," definitely not a show winner, but acceptable for my growing shelf of Civil War soldiers.



Finished Build

click thumbnails to enlarge


No comments:

Post a Comment